Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Race and race in WoW

I was hanging out on one of my toons the other day and a fellow guild member suddenly went off on Asian people. It was really horrible, I am not Asian but I found the epithets he used offensive. It's not simply that he was using racist epithets, or even using them to denigrate actual people, what was most offensive was that this idiot was arguing that it made him more enlightened. He claimed it was ok for him to use racist terms because he was racist against everybody, as if misanthropy makes anything better, and that he also used racial terms for his own race. I will let you all figure out that out on your own. I was so shocked by the stupidity of what he said that I got upset and called him an idiot and then a fellow guild member whispered me and told me to calm down because he would mention it to the guild leader, and that action would be taken. Simply telling me that he would make sure that this was taken care of, that he was outraged by it, and that I could ignore the person made me feel better. I ignored the offending party but he had soured my mood. Then my guild leader took action and kicked the offending party and renewed my faith in the guild, by trying to make up for the actions of one idiot.

No comments:

Post a Comment