Tuesday, March 31, 2009

"I'm not talking to you"

Sadie has a strict no swearing policy in her guild, this means nobody is allowed to say the f-word (fuck). I got really irate when a guild member who spammed an emote representing breasts in guild chat ||(o)o) this is the emote in question|| told me to watch my language. In any event there is a no swearing policy, so what did Sadie do she got on an alt and swore in guild chat saying "Fuck, Fuck, Fuck." and when an officer told her to watch her language she pointed out that it was her guild. They asked her why she did it, one person jokingly suggested that she was testing us, but she defended her actions by saying that what she did was a really funny for "those in on the joke". Paraphrasing she said "I'm not talking to you, it was an inside joke." This sort of pissed me off so I pointed out that for those not in the know she came across as an immature hypocrite (not in those exact terms) and she replied by telling me that she had not realized I was so immature. I'm still upset by this because I feel she just enjoys being above the law, I think she just likes flaunting her power. Sadie is one of those people who thinks that they are always right and so she was never going to back down so I did but it was disappointing that she did that after her talk about respect at the guild meeting.

She is not the only guild member who did that. One guild member asked for help in the channel and when a fellow member offered it that person snapped "I was not talking to you." Another guild member spoke in a racial language, in WoW ever race except humans and orcs has a racial language that no other race can understand, in officer chat and when I said "A googly googly to you too" he snapped "I am not talking to you." when I pointed out that I would need to understand his message to know that he then said that he had forgotten to change languages after he had posted and that a few lines after he had translated his message. No apology no nothing, not even a recognition that he was sort of unpleasant just an "Oh well I forgot that to change my language and I was in Darnassus." I was so pissed off when another guild meber babbled in guild language I snapped sarcastically "If only there was a language that all the players of our faction could understand, a common language that could enable communication we could call it esperanto or eliza or maybe even common! If only such a language existed."

I was angry for a long time with that guild for making me feel like I was the guild babysitter. I would always answer questions even though much of the time alt tabbing for a few moments and looking the answer to the question would have been just as effective. I felt like I was the only one who bothered to look things up, like I was the only one who bothered to be polite, the only one making any kind of effort and I was sick and tired of it.

Now I tell myself that I am not in charge and I don't have to be and my anger at the guild has sort of diminished. I still answer questions in guild chat but I have realized that I am not the only one doing it, and it's ok that I don't know the answer to a question. I spoke with some of my friends in the guild and they told me that I was not alone in feeling this way sometimes and that my frustrations were not invalid, though I doubt Sadie would aggree with me on that point. Sadie 's not my enemy though and we have had some good times together, she's my friend even though she annoys me sometimes and I don't want to make drama for her.

I still do not know if her guild is the right place for me but if I do leave the guild I will talk with her about it first and I will make sure it is not done in an unpleasant manner and I think that any guild I join after I will want to see how they are before I make the decision to stay. "Guilds are like family" as Sadie once said in that guild members are expected to support one another and be respectful, but unlike family one chooses one's guild and that means one has to be careful how one chooses. I joined Sadie's guild because I thought it was going to be a guild made up of friends and I think she wanted a raiding guild and now that her guild is becoming a raiding guild I am questionning whether or not I still want to be a member. I know that I do not want to be part of a raiding guild and I think that means at some point I will leave, in any event that time has not come so I continue to see how things play themselves out.

p.s. I do not think that Sadie ever misrepresented herself or her guild to me, I think she started it as a place for her friends and then took the guild in the direction she was interested in going. I think she tries to be everybody's friend and she honestly wants to get along with most if not all of the members of her guild. I think she liked Bunny and this is why he got away with being so unpleasant, his lack of manners amused her and so she kept him around and tolerated his stupidity even though other guild members could not stand him simply because he was never unpleasant enough to drive anybody away from the guild.

No comments:

Post a Comment